Tuesday 8 May 2007

Your Choice In The Skinny Dip

Here's a letter I read in that bastion of unsensationalism, The Daily Telegraph :

Seeing pictures of thin young models makes me wonder why designers would want such people to model their clothes.

I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but does anyone find beauty in skinny models? It may be natural, as they claim, but to me, models such as Jennifer Hawkins or Elle MacPherson are more attractive and would show off the designs to the best advantage.

It is probably unrealistic for most women to have such beautiful bodies as those of Jennifer and Elle, but does anyone want to look like the thin models?

Bev Martin, Mona Vale - Tuesday, May 8, 2007, p18



Does anyone want to look like the thin models? Um, try asking any of the people diagnosed with anorexia nervosa or bulimia.

Truly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Recently, comments such as "Megan Gale looks like a horse" "Angelina Jolie - doesn't do it for me" - "Jennifer Hawkins - pretty ordinary" - "I can't stand big breasts" "I'm a boob man" "Redheads!" and so forth, I've read and heard all over the place. There's a company that wanted all "ordinary bodied-woman" - plumper, round-figured women to model.

Why would a designer put clothes on a skinny model?

Honey, if it works for their clothes business. That's why.

2 comments:

Mr Mean said...

Why would designers put clothes on a skinny model? Out of kindness, I say — someone has to! Or perhaps it's a matter of practicality, as those designer clothes just wouldn't fit any other type of model.

Maria said...

A good strong designer model, as they describe 'em, is "wiry" - and that's why they make excellent coathangers.